Monday, July 23, 2018

John Hart (1797-1864) and his brother, Stephen A. Hart of Red Wing, Minnesota

Stephen A. Hart
courtesy of D. Evans

     So, after having reviewed the documents I have pertaining to my two times great grandfather, John Hart, the publications, the census data, the land records, and the probate records, the only other pieces of evidence I have not mentioned are his headstone, which I have shared elsewhere in this blog, and the civil war record of my great grandfather, Melvin Hart, which lists his parents when he enlisted in the Civil War. I have one more roundabout way left of connecting John with his father Stephen, which would help me claim Jeremiah Hart as a Revolutionary War patiot ancestor. I believe that if I could create a link between John and one of his siblings who have a strong link to their father Stephen, then I could perhaps strengthen my case. Here is the one chain of connection through records that I have found.

     John and his children were not the only members of the Hart family who removed to Minnesota, as we have discussed. His uncle Philip Hart and his brother Stephen A. Hart went to Goodhue County. I have previously blogged about the latter.: Stephen A. Hart: The Singing Surveyor of Goodhue County, Minnesota (Since then, I have been the happy recipient of a photo of him from another descendant of Jeremiah Hart, which I share above). The one connection I found between Stephen A. and John's family is a newspaper article stating that Stephen died in home of Gilbert Samuel Chase, the husband of John's daughter Chloe (The Faribault Republican, Feburary 27, 1895). (It must be remembered that Stephen Junior was perhaps the youngest child in his family, having been born in 1818, and was therefore close in age to his niece, Chloe, who was born in 1821). This strongly suggests, but does not prove, a family connection. A brick is not a wall, but several bricks help make a wall. The Hart Genealogy explicitly states that Stephen Senior had a son Stephen Junior who lived in Red Wing, Minnesota. This is the clearest statement of the connection I have found. There are, however, other documents which connect Stephen with his siblings in New York, siblings whose obituaries and other documents clearly show that they are the sons of the elder Stephen. These are George and Alvin Hart.

     Stephen Jr. travelled back to visit family in New York at least three times in his life. There are newspaper articles showing that he visited with family in 1868, 1889, and 1893. The article which is the strongest evidence for his connection with the family of Stephen Sr. is from The Watertown Daily Times, dated March 8, 1889, which connects him with his brother, George:


     I plan to keep looking for other documentary evidence of John Hart's relationship with his father Stephen Hart. For example, I have yet to obtain the Civil War Pension Files for John's sons James and Joel. This is a longshot that there may be something in one of those files, and it is costly to order them. If you, gentle reader, are in possession of one of these files, and are willing to peruse them for this evidence, you would have my gratitude. I think may be worthwhile to go ahead and prepare a written case for their connection based on what I have. I will keep you informed if I am able to prove the connection between John Hart and his father to the D.A.R.'s satisfaction.


No comments: